An alternate title for this post could also be “MUST HAVE hair products for fine hair” because, lets be honest, your girl has a head full of fine hair! But, regardless, everything I’m sharing today are my tried and true hair products for my short hair gals! I’m also sharing a bit about what my stylist does to my hair in the salon!
As someone who’s had short hair on and off for over a decade, I like to think I’ve been through the gamut of “volumizing” and “texturizing” hair products. Drugstore to high-end, I’ve probably tried them all. And these are the ones I can’t live without!
I’ve really challenged myself to keep this post about products that would best benefit short hair, not just hair in general. So, if you’re looking for more of my basic hair tips head here! And, if you want all of the products I use, you can find those here.
Also, one last thing about my cut in particular since this question frequently pops up in my Instagram messages – I get a lob (long bob) with internal texture and long layers. My color is primarily foils with my natural color (dark blonde/light brown). If you’re local, I see Gina at Suite Spot Salon Spa! You can save $$ by mentioning I sent ya!
5 MUST HAVE Hair Products + Tools
- The right tools – If I could give each of you $500 and tell you to get my curling wand (which comes with a separate detachable base), my straightener and blow dryer I’d for sure do that. Because the trifecta of all three working together is truly magical. But, if I had to narrow it down to one, I’d say the blow dryer is a MUST HAVE for short hair. Does that surprise you? It did for me since it’s the newest addition to my collection of tools! But it’s the only hair tool I use that gives you insane volume and lift while leaving your ends silky-soft. I was getting so annoyed with how limp and lifeless my hair felt before getting it – it quite literally breathed life back into my hair!
- Lanza Styling Mousse – I picked up this bottle last August when I chopped may hair and the same bottle is still going strong! A little goes a long way. This isn’t technically a volumizing mousse. I use this spray for volumizer. What this does though is add volume and texture, which makes your bob a bit more piecey as it defines the layers.
- Klorane Dry Shampoo – Bed head is a short haired girl’s worst nightmare. Random kinks all over the place AND half of it always ends up flat to your head. Seriously, what did we do before dry shampoo? You ladies know I am a die hair drugstore dry shampoo gal. But, considering I use a bottle every two weeks (I know, I know), I figured it would be good to invest in one that had more natural ingredients. I tried this dry shampoo and am HOOKED. I’ve been using it for over a month and it works SO well! I can go a full week without washing and still wear my hair down at the end. Truly a miracle. I use it both day and night.
- A Smoothing Serum – there’s two products I would recommend for this. I use both but you can definitely just use one or the other too! First is Alterna’s CC cream that you apply to damp hair. It helps smooth your hair while providing UV/Heat protection as well as anti-aging protection! When I’m done styling my hair, I’ll use maybe a dime size amount of this serum. A little goes a long way. This is hands down the best smoothing serum I’ve ever used! It leaves your hair so silky and smells amazing! Both of these products will help keep your hair smooth and silky without sacrificing volume as both are so lightweight! I apply both from mid-shaft down (on the ends of my hair).
- Living Proof Full Dry Volume – This is another product that I firmly believe is magic in a bottle. After I’m done styling my hair, I’ll take random sections and spray this into the roots. It helps create insane lift and volume as well as provides some texture. This one is a great, drugstore, alternative!
What’s one hair product you can’t live without?
SHOP the POST