One of my favorite things about Fall is switching to darker shades of lipstick. I actually have two separate lipstick drawers in my makeup organizer. One with light shades and another with dark – lol! I’m fully prepared for any season. Today, I want to talk about my top 5 lipsticks for the holidays that can easily work all winter long! I’ve also included the “recipe” I use for my DIY lip scrub. It goes without saying that if your lips aren’t properly exfoliated, long-wearing lipstick can end up making your makeup look worse and make the wrong sort of statement (ew chapped and flaky lips!).
So let’s get started! Here are my top 5 lipsticks for the holidays!
- Candy K is a warm pinky nude color that is a staple in Kylie’s collection of Lip Kits. It’s perfect for a casual outfit and lasts all day without any transfer. This is easily one of my most used lip colors once the weather turns cooler!
- Allison is a dark pinky brown shade that came out as a holiday release last year. This shade is perfect for holiday outfits or any outfit you want to have a pink, yet darker lip color for.
- Ashton is a yellow brown color that is another one of my cold-weather go-to’s. It just looks like autumn when you put it on. This shade is perfect for both casual wear and for a night out!
- Colada is a peachy brown nude color that has recently become a favorite of mine. As you can see in the photo, I got this as a sample from Sephora and already know I’ll be purchasing the full size. What I love is that the shade is a perfect, everyday nude, and it’s SUPER moisturizing so suitable for all-day wear.
- Gazpacho is a darker red color that is super pigmented and perfect for holiday wear. When swatched, you can see that it’s a pretty true red color. It’s also super long wearing. Even after removing the swatches with makeup remover, I was still left with a Gazpacho stain on my arm – lol! It was a favorite of mine last holiday season, and I know will be a favorite again this year!
My process for applying lipstick to ensure it lasts, doesn’t get flakey, feather or bleed is pretty simple:
- I exfoliate using my homemade lip scrub in the shower by gently rubbing it on my lips with a washcloth. After I get out, I make sure to put a very moisturizing lip balm on like this one from First Aid Beauty. It’s best to use this balm when your lips are still slightly damp to ensure it soaks in. I love this product because it wears well under lipstick and lasts forever. I’ve had mine 6 months, and it looks like I haven’t even touched it!
- Prior to applying lipstick, I apply this primer from Anastasia Beverly Hills. This primer is a total game-changer you guys! It acts as a balm and really helps against any flaking, feathering or bleeding!
- Line lips with a nude lip liner like this one from Make Up For Ever. Make sure to both outline AND fill in your lips with a liner as this helps against bleeding or feathering! (NOTE: I do not use any lip liner with Anastasia Liquid Lipsticks as they don’t adhere to it that well).
- Apply lipstick and blot with a tissue to remove excess color!
Now, on to my DIY lip scrub! This is a mix I originally picked up from Pinterest years ago and have changed slightly over the years to get it exactly how I like it. I guarantee you have most if not all of these ingredients in your kitchen! I store my lip scrub in little glass canisters like you see in the photo. You can pick them up from Amazon here (super cheap!), and they’re handy for liquid travel storage as well!
So there you have it! My top 5 lipsticks for the holidays as well as my DIY lip scrub recipe!
I hope everyone has had a great start to their week!! We had another busy weekend with a Halloween celebration Saturday, and my sister’s family over on Sunday. Tonight we’re going to a Minnesota Wild game, which I’m pretty excited about. I’m not a huge sports girl, but if I had to choose, hockey and football are definitely my faves! I’m definitely looking forward to a calmer weekend coming up.
PS Sorry for the low photo quality, someone forgot to charge her camera! 🙄😋